Pages

Friday 17 August 2012

Member's journey into CFE

By Beth McKenna - CFE member since March.

"I decided to offer to write my experience as a member of the community because of my positive experience, especially after initial reservations on how it could work for me exchanging time and my skills with others (not sure if I had either to participate !!).

I had a year previous come across a short example of a 'Time Bank' in a book and immediately thought what a great idea but that was where it stopped. For the fact that a year later it was founded by persons who put the energies into making it happen, Bev, Miriam, Ger and Olive I have much gratitude and thanks, especially after experiencing how it works in reality and in attending meetings discovering how much energy they and others dedicate.

Every single giving and receiving exchange has been fantastic
Mine was a stop start relationship as I was in limbo as to what I felt I could offer at that time. 3 kids 6yr /2yr and a 8 month baby I wasn't sure if I could find time.  Back studying due to unemployment I decided to exchange in something I had worked for years prior to my time as project worker, a trained and qualified massage therapist. My concerns were immediately dispelled by Bev, that I could set my conditions, that it was up to me. I had full control of when and how I worked. I decided I could offer 2 massages a month to exchange,at a time that worked for me juggling kids,study etc. Time for time , where everyone's time is equal regardless of skill really makes sense to me, as time seems these days precious .1 credit for each 15 minutes I clocked up 8 credits for 2 hours. I have now done several massages, 3 and exchanged with another member Sara for some much needed gardening assistance in my overgrown with weeds garden.


Every single giving and receiving exchange has been fantastic. I loved doing massage from my home and am exploring doing it again from home it has been so positive for me. I have met people I never knew and will enjoy chatting to them as we meet in Clonakilty. My exchange receiving gardening ended up in lunch and a great conversation with Sara on what cool community projects we could do pulling weeds as we found our common interest moving into the future. For me, the Clonakilty Favor Exchange also offers a space where ,if we can get as many members as engaged as possible, fueling ideas of what's possible we are feeding the positive into what we can all say is a tough time. Exchanges, swap exchange, workshops, community space (to be defined by those in the larger community), Halloween beach party with sand-script its all happening, workshops,pampering days all done without money. It really is left now to our imagination and commitment to keep this going to continue what could be a very interesting journey".

No comments:

Post a Comment