Pages

Sunday 5 May 2013

Alexander Technique Evening with Katey Sleeman


Book now for a Favour Academy Special Workshop - Alexander Technique with Katey Sleeman. 
Wednesday 19th June in the West Cork Traveller Centre.
7.30 - 9.30 pm

‘The Alexander Technique is a powerful tool for change, which can bring about lasting improvements in physical and mental performance... It increases your vitality, flexibility, poise, coordination and economy of movement, together with clarity and calmness of thought". (Don Weed)

 You can enjoy these benefits too by booking up for the latest Favour Academy seminar.  10 places only!  




Here is an excerpt from a rave review of a previous workshop by Katey for some musicians.  

"I was very taken by the whole ‘notion’ of the ‘Alexander Technique’, but I didn’t know a thing about it really before attending a one day workshop ... and I hoped that my general posture would improve. I was soon to learn that the word we should use is ‘poise’ and far from relaxing, the student must play an active role in understanding their behaviour and actions and thereby learning to make better use of mind and body.

Our teacher, Katey Sleeman from Clonakilty, Co. Cork, while trained in both the STAT (Society of Teachers of the Alexander Technique) and ITM (Interactive Teaching Method) methods of teaching this ‘Study of Thinking in relation to Movement’, is especially focussed on the ‘Interactive Teaching Method.’

This involves thinking about FM Alexander’s principles, actively engaging in discussions about same, observing lessons, participating in lessons yourself and incorporating change in your own life.

The course really opened my mind to the way I am exhausting myself by ridiculous and unnecessary tension as I go about my everyday life – not just while playing my instrument, but also while driving, standing, talking, writing and even sitting. I have become aware of simple ways that I can just stop doing this.

The atmosphere in the class was warm and informal. For us as colleagues in the music school, it was a very nice way to spend time together on a different agenda than the usual. I must say that I found the discussions very stimulating and was very interested to hear what everybody had to say. I learned a lot from watching the others have a lesson. I suppose that we never see ourselves as others see us, so it’s easier to perceive improvements in someone else. I definitely felt the most benefit though when I had a lesson myself. Generally, my quality of sleep has improved, probably because my stress levels are more under control – Dare I say that I feel calmer and happier – All because of the notion of ‘stopping’ I think.

Carol Daly, Deputy Principal, County Cork VEC School of Music

Booking Details:
"Wednesday 19th June from 7.30 - 9.30.....there will need to be a limit of 10 participants as that is the total I can work on in the time, if more want to come just to listen that is fine....and it will be held in the West Cork Traveller Centre in the old garage on Western Road". Katey

Directions  West Cork Travellers centre, Murphys Garage, Western Road..opposite McCarthy's vets!!

For bookings email Katey directly at
sleeman.klp@gmail.com                     
087 9632908

No comments:

Post a Comment